New plugin: Outgoing Friends

Alles, was mit Plugins für Spamihilator zu tun hat. (Keine Plugin-Hilfe, Plugin-Bugs oder Plugin Feature Requests, siehe jeweils dort.)

Moderator: Forum-Team

Re: New plugin: Outgoing Friends

Beitragvon AlexV » 19. Mai 2008, 08:04

Now available: OutgoingFriends-0.5.1.exe - No changes by me, but I've updated the installer to bundle EmailRelay 1.8, which resolves a bug when connecting to an email server without using authentication.

Alex
AlexV
Spam-Massenmörder
Spam-Massenmörder

Plugin-Programmierer

Beitragvon anbuva » 19. Mai 2008, 09:06

Hallo AlexV!

Again: It works :D

Gruß
anbuva
anbuva
Administrator
Administrator

Administration
Beta-Tester
Forum-Team

Beitragvon anbuva » 19. Mai 2008, 10:10

Hallo AlexV!

Can you could implement a function, that a new installation the previous settings are not delete? I think, the settings can be stored safely in the user-directory. :)

Regards
anbuva
anbuva
Administrator
Administrator

Administration
Beta-Tester
Forum-Team

Beitragvon AlexV » 19. Mai 2008, 10:31

A new installation should not remove existing settings.

Uninstalling an old version does remove the settings, but you do not need to uninstall the old version to upgrade to a new version, just install the new one into the same place as the old one.

The settings are stored in the user directory, in C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Local Settings\Application Data\OutgoingFriends\Configurator.exe_Url_[junk]\[version], (or equivalent under \users on vista) if you want to back them up.

Alex
AlexV
Spam-Massenmörder
Spam-Massenmörder

Plugin-Programmierer

Beitragvon anbuva » 19. Mai 2008, 10:52

Hallo AlexV!

You are right! Please excuse, this was my fault now, because I have "played around" with the files. :oops:
In principle I would prefer to see it, however, if all settings would directly find themselves again in the folder of the user (under Spamihilator). :roll:
Will you still change this in the future? :)

Regards
anbuva
anbuva
Administrator
Administrator

Administration
Beta-Tester
Forum-Team

Beitragvon AlexV » 19. Mai 2008, 11:45

The settings are under the user folder, but are not under Spamihilator. As the Configurator is not technically a Spamihilator plug-in, the settings for controlling EmailRelay are not part of Spamihilator's settings, and don't really belong under its settings folder. I don't plan to move them to there.

However, the exclusions list (and, of course, the Spamihilator friends list itself) is stored in Spamihilator.ini, wherever that is stored.

Alex
AlexV
Spam-Massenmörder
Spam-Massenmörder

Plugin-Programmierer

Beitragvon anbuva » 19. Mai 2008, 12:39

Hallo AlexV!

Thank you for your answer! Important is, that your program first works! :D
(Were beautiful, if it also would be for several accounts. Is now only a constructive suggestion from my side, however..... :wink: )

Regards
anbuva
anbuva
Administrator
Administrator

Administration
Beta-Tester
Forum-Team

Beitragvon AlexV » 19. Mai 2008, 12:53

anbuva hat geschrieben:Were beautiful, if it also would be for several accounts.

One of us is misunderstanding here. Outgoing Friends does save its settings per-user, under the Users folder. Just not under Spamihilator's settings folder.

If you mean that, separately to the settings question, you would like a feature to allow for multiple different SMTP servers, then I agree that would be nice, but EmailRelay is not designed for this and doesn't support it well. The only possibility would be to have several instances of EmailRelay running listening on different ports, one for each SMTP server that you want to use.

Outgoing Freinds' Processor can already be used with this, so if it were set up manually it would work fine. Making the Configurator able to set this up in an easy to understand way would be a bigger problem, though, which I don't intend to do.

Alex
AlexV
Spam-Massenmörder
Spam-Massenmörder

Plugin-Programmierer

Beitragvon anbuva » 19. Mai 2008, 14:00

AlexV hat geschrieben:If you mean that, separately to the settings question, you would like a feature to allow for multiple different SMTP servers, then I agree that would be nice, but EmailRelay is not designed for this and doesn't support it well. .

Yes, this is what i mean! Now i understand the function better! :wink:

AlexV hat geschrieben:The only possibility would be to have several instances of EmailRelay running listening on different ports, one for each SMTP server that you want to use.

Is this possible for your program? :?
anbuva
Administrator
Administrator

Administration
Beta-Tester
Forum-Team

Beitragvon AlexV » 19. Mai 2008, 22:33

anbuva hat geschrieben:
AlexV hat geschrieben:
AlexV hat geschrieben:The only possibility would be to have several instances of EmailRelay running listening on different ports, one for each SMTP server that you want to use.

Is this possible for your program? :?

Not any time soon. As I mentioned, I can't think of any good way to present the complexity of running multiple proxy servers listening on different ports in a way that is simple to understand and use. I do not think that having multiple different SMTP servers is a common usage.

If I find an email proxy, or SMTP proxy library code that will do SMTP proxying like Spamihilator does POP3 proxying (by specifying the server in the username), or supports multiple SMTP servers in some other way, then I'll try and support that.

Alex
AlexV
Spam-Massenmörder
Spam-Massenmörder

Plugin-Programmierer

Multiple Accounts

Beitragvon AlexV » 27. Mai 2009, 14:43

I have been asked to provide some detailed instructions on how to manually set up Outgoing Friends to work with multiple SMTP accounts, so here goes.

Disclaimer: This is a fairly complex procedure - I'll do my best to explain it as well as possible, but you should have some technical knowledge if you intend to follow it.

Introduction
Outgoing Friends works by configuring a program called EmailRelay to act as a proxy server for SMTP email. EmailRelay calls a mini-application called "Processor.exe" in the Outgoing Friends folder for every email that is sent through it. Processor.exe scans the email for the addresses it was sent to, and adds those to the Spamihilator friends list.

EmailRelay can only be configured to forward mail on to one SMTP server, so in order to support two, you will need to run two separate instances of it, one for each server.

Step 1: Moving the first server out of direct control of Outgoing Friends configuration
Once you have set up Outgoing Friends for a single server, we will use that configuration to set up EmailRelay independently of Outgoing Friends. First of all, go to the Configurator and click on the "Advanced Settings" tab. At the bottom of that tab, there is a preview of the command line for EmailRelay - copy that to the clipboard.

If you are using authentication (and you almost certainly are), then this will need a small change made to it - it's probably easiest to paste it into a blank document in Notepad, so you can see the whole thing.

Find the part that ends in 0.5.1.0\auth", and change that to 0.5.1.0\auth2"

Then, you will need to rename the auth file (which contains the authentication credentials) to match. Copy the entire --client-auth quoted parameter, which is the path to the auth file. Remove "auth" off the end of it, and you're left with the folder the auth file is in, for example:
"C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\OutgoingFriends\Configurator.exe_Url_junk\0.5.1.0\". Open that folder in Windows Explorer (paste it into the address bar, or the Start/Run box. In there, you should see a file called "auth". Rename that to "auth2" to match the change made to the command line parameters.

Now that we have the command line set, we need to make that start with Windows. The easiest way would be to create a shortcut to EmailRelay.exe in the Startup folder, but you may prefer to add it to the registry instead, or even as a service. Those are out of scope of this guide, so I'll assume a shortcut in the Startup folder. In the shortcut, you will need to add to the command line (after EmailRelay.exe) the parameters copied from the notepad window used to edit them. You should end up with something like:

...Friends\emailrelay.exe" --as-proxy your.mail.server... etc.

Step 2: Checking it works
With that set up, you should now stop the Outgoing Friends server (press the "Stop Server" button on the "Advanced Settings" tab, and run the new shortcut you created. If it runs without error messages, then it probably worked. Check that you can still send email.

As it is no longer under Outgoing Friends control, if you need to stop this server, you will have to use the windows Task Manager - find the E-MailRelay task, and use the End Task button on it.

Step 3: Adding the second server
Now that the first one is outside of Outgoing Friends control, you can use the configurator to set up your second server. Make sure that in the "Advanced Settings" tab you choose a different value for "Listen on Port" than the first one had (10025 by default, so 10026 would be fine).

Configure the second SMTP account in your email software in the same way as the first one, to use localhost as the server, but with the port configured for the second server (like 10026).

That should be everything!

Please let me know if you manage to set this up correctly, and of course if there's anything in this guide that needs more clarification, just ask.

Alex
AlexV
Spam-Massenmörder
Spam-Massenmörder

Plugin-Programmierer

Re: Multiple Accounts

Beitragvon anbuva » 27. Mai 2009, 16:47

Hallo AlexV!

Thank you for this detailed explanation. :D

Kind regards
anbuva
anbuva
Administrator
Administrator

Administration
Beta-Tester
Forum-Team

Beitragvon bugmenot » 29. Jul 2009, 01:25

Hi

My e-mail client (The Bat!) can execute external application when sending e-mail and it can pass the current e-mail message to it (to [i]stdin[/i]). Is it somehow possible to utilize this plugin components to use this functionality of my e-mail client to get desired result without running smtp proxy?

Thanks in advance.
bugmenot

Beitragvon AlexV » 29. Jul 2009, 08:42

Unfortunately the Outgoing Friends processor.exe is very much customised towards the output emailrelay produces. If you wanted to use it directly, the email would have to meet these requirements:

The email needs to be in a file called "envelope.new", and you need to pass the path to the file as the only argument to the Processor.exe in the Outgoing Friends folder, *but* replace the filename (envelope.new) with "content". So, if you put the file in "c:\temp\envelope.new", the command line would be: processor.exe "c:\temp\content".

The email must contain a header called "X-MailRelay-To-Remote", whose value must be the email address only (no name or label). This header must be on a line on its own, and not span multiple lines. If the email is being sent to multiple recipients, there must be one header per recipient, for example:

X-MailRelay-To-Remote: address1@example.com
X-MailRelay-To-Remote: address2@example.com

Alex
AlexV
Spam-Massenmörder
Spam-Massenmörder

Plugin-Programmierer

Vista x64 compatibility

Beitragvon AlexV » 6. Sep 2009, 20:28

I've been in email contact with someone who's had difficulty running this software under Vista x64, and thought I'd share the results here in case anyone experiences the same problem.

Spamihilator is a 32bit application, which means that Vista x64 helpfully redirects its registry settings into a special registry location: Wow6432Node (for reasons that are still not entirely clear to me).

Outgoing Friends, being a .net application, can run equally happily as 32bit or 64bit, so Vista runs it as 64bit. This means that when it accesses the registry, it does not get redirected, so does not see the 32bit Spamihilator registry entries.

As a temporary workaround, if you are familiar with editing the registry, you can add registry key that it is expecting to find. "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Spamihilator\" is the key, and "ConfigDir" is a DWORD value that should be set to 0.

Alternatively, you could choose to run Outgoing Friends as a 32 bit process. I think there is a compatibility option for that somewhere in the Vista property pages for the .exe file? I don't have Vista 64, so I can't check. If you do this, remember to do it for both Configurator.exe and Processor.exe.

Hopefully this issue should just go away when the new 64bit version of Spamihilator (0.9.9.45, currently in beta) is released!

Alex
AlexV
Spam-Massenmörder
Spam-Massenmörder

Plugin-Programmierer

VorherigeNächste

Zurück zu Plugins: Allgemein