New plugin: Outgoing Friends

Alles, was mit Plugins für Spamihilator zu tun hat. (Keine Plugin-Hilfe, Plugin-Bugs oder Plugin Feature Requests, siehe jeweils dort.)

Moderator: Forum-Team

Re: New plugin: Outgoing Friends

Beitragvon AlexV » 10. Jan 2008, 21:20

I will look into it. I don't really know much about services, so I don't know why it is failing. I suspect that if it is run as a service it can't launch the emailrelay process normally, so I'll see what needs to be done to support it. I won't be able to test on Win2k server, though.

Alex
AlexV
Spam-Massenmörder
Spam-Massenmörder

Plugin-Programmierer

Beitragvon MichiD » 11. Jan 2008, 11:46

Oops sorry, Alex i didn't notice your native language is English (how could that happen?). Anyhow you understood everything right and i look forward to that version. Thank you!

I raised the values for the conection-timeout as well. It works now and i have no intention to investigate further which fault it was. I just mentioned the filter-timeout because its default of 180secs matched the timeout i experienced.

(custom parameters: --response-timeout=1800 --filter-timeout=1500 --connection-timeout=1500 )

To Duke. You might try the approach with the batch-file (copy the commandline from the process properties). It seems to be possible to run batch-files as service with the help of some utilities of the resource kit.
see here: http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/WindowsTips/WindowsNT/AdminTips/Miscellaneous/RunbatchfileatWindowsNTstartupwithnooneloggedon.html

Take Note: As Services usually run under some system user account you might run into access-rights problems.

Michael
MichiD
Power-User
Power-User

Beitragvon AlexV » 11. Jan 2008, 16:23

I've been looking around at services, and I think the best bet is to let EmailRelay handle its own installation as a service. In the future I might decide to try and handle this automatically from Outgoing Friends, but for the moment it looks like a lot more trouble than it's worth.

So, to get Outgoing Friends running as a service:

1. Download EmailRelay.
2. During the install wizard, on the "Server Startup" page, check the "At system startup" checkbox. This will cause an "E-MailRelay" service to be added. All other settings in the install wizard can be left at their defaults or ignored, as we will be replacing them.
3. Open the file C:\Program Files\EmailRelay\emailrelay-start.bat in notepad and remove the line in it that was generated by the install wizard. Replace it with the command line generated by the Outgoing Friends Configurator.
For the next version I'll make it easy to copy this line from somewhere in the UI, but for the moment you can use process properties, as Michael suggested.
4. Set Outgoing Friends to not start with windows, as the service is now running instead.

There might be some issues with running this as a service in that if Spamihilator is using per-user settings then if it isn't running as that user, it probably won't find them. I'm not sure how this interacts with Spami2Service, but it probably doesn't use per-user settings, so you should be OK. Let me know how you get on!

For really advanced usage, you can set up EmailRelay however you find useful, the only important part as far as Outgoing Friends is concerned is that you use "--filter "C:\Program\ Files\Outgoing\ Friends\processor.exe" (note that EmailRelay requires spaces to be escaped with a \, but doesn't require \ itself to be escaped. Weird.).

Alex
AlexV
Spam-Massenmörder
Spam-Massenmörder

Plugin-Programmierer

Beitragvon AlexV » 12. Jan 2008, 09:54

OK, I have uploaded a new version, OutgoingFriends-0.5.exe. This adds the ability to specify arbitrary additional parameters to pass to EmailRelay, and provides an easy place to view and copy the full command line that will be used. Both of these appear on the Advanced Settings tab.

Any comments, bug reports, or further suggestions are welcome.

Alex
AlexV
Spam-Massenmörder
Spam-Massenmörder

Plugin-Programmierer

Beitragvon MichiD » 14. Jan 2008, 16:05

Cheers!
Looks perfect. Even with Help link to command line parameters and a command line preview.
MichiD
Power-User
Power-User

SMTPS + Outgoing Friends

Beitragvon sam77 » 16. Jan 2008, 13:15

Hi, I tried to use Outgoing Friends, it seems to me to be the best solution for my situation. Unfortunately my provider uses smtps and although I inserted my username and passwort in Outgoing Friends, I wasn't able to send any Emails. At least I got the error-messeage that my server didn't accept the authentication.
Does anyone of you have a good idea how to config this tool? Thanks a lot. Sam.
sam77
User
User

Beitragvon MichiD » 16. Jan 2008, 20:34

There is a version/build of emailrelay that comes with ssl-support. You might need to download the most-current version from http://emailrelay.sourceforge.net/

This is just theoretical, as i didn't test it:

-use emailrelay.exe from link above
-disable ssl in your e-mail-client
-enable ssl in e-mailrelay with the custom parameter: --client-tls
-j, --client-tls
Enables tls/ssl layer for smtp client (if openssl built in).

Corrections anyone?
MichiD
Power-User
Power-User

smtps & Outgoing

Beitragvon sam77 » 16. Jan 2008, 21:38

Hi, thanks for your help, anyway it didin't work. I tried it in several ways, but nothing really happend. Maybe, I didn't exactly understand what to do... So, could you please explain it again, maybe step by step? I have now a bad configured Emailreplay, a non-working Outgoing Friends ad-on and a lot of Spam every day (832 mails today!).
Thanks for your help again, S.
sam77
User
User

Beitragvon AlexV » 17. Jan 2008, 09:13

MichiD, I don't see where the version of emailrelay with ssl support is. If there is one, that is good news, but I couldn't find it...

Alex
AlexV
Spam-Massenmörder
Spam-Massenmörder

Plugin-Programmierer

Beitragvon MichiD » 17. Jan 2008, 09:23

I just verified that this works...

The mail-server of your provider has to support SSL/TLS. This means that the conversation starts unencrypted (typically on port 25) and then the clients sends "STARTTLS" and the conversation (including the login) continues encrypted.

What i did:
I downloaded emailrelay-1.7-setup.exe from the e-mailrelay site.
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/emailrelay/emailrelay-1.7-setup.exe?modtime=1195477829&big_mirror=0
I did the setup (just to get to the .exe) but did not check any options for auto-start.

From the programs\emailrelay directory i took emailrelay.exe and copied it to the outgoing friends program-directory overwriting the original emailrelay.exe there. (The new one is significantly bigger, about: 3MB)

Then i started the Outgoing friends Configurator and added the following parameter to the "Additional EMailRelay Parameters":
--client-tls
(You might add the parameter "--verbose" to get "more" entries in your event-log.)
and clicked on "Apply".

In the e-mail client i disabled any ssl settings (enabling unencrypted transfer to emailrelay).

I tested it and it worked.

Then i used the "Microsoft Network Monitor" to verify that encryption was actually taking place. I applied the Filter "Tcp.Smtp" (when connecting on port 25).
Then pressed "play" and got the conversation. Basically:
Provider: "220 Welcome. It's me your smtp-server"
E-Mailrelay: "EHLO <domainname>"
Provider: "250 Pleased to meet you:
250-STARTTLS
250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
...."
E-Mailrelay: "STARTTLS" <-- this is the result of --client-tls
Provider: "220 Go Ahead"
E-Mailrelay <--> Provider exchange from here on just unrecognizable byte sequences.

Maybe you are currently using "Netscape" SSL which is usally performed on a seperate port. This may be not supported directly by emailrelay.

See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_Layer_Security
MichiD
Power-User
Power-User

Beitragvon AlexV » 17. Jan 2008, 11:55

Thanks for that detailed investigation, MichiD. I will upload another version of Outgoing Friends that bundles the 1.7 version and has a checkbox for SSL/TLS soon. This will have the exact same effect as the procedure you described, so if you've got it working like that already, there's no need to change anything.

Alex
AlexV
Spam-Massenmörder
Spam-Massenmörder

Plugin-Programmierer

Beitragvon sam77 » 17. Jan 2008, 12:46

If you where nearby I'd offer you a beer!!
It works, excellent, thank you. And you're instructions were very so easy to follow...
Sam.
sam77
User
User

Beitragvon MichiD » 17. Jan 2008, 14:11

Thank you for the virtual beer! :mrgreen:
I'll look after it after work. Maybe i find some Filter for GiMP that can transform virtual beer into virtual single malt...

Just make sure TLS is actually used.

If you add --verbose to the additional parameters, somewhere in the dozens of generated event records you should find:
Code: Alles auswählen
emailrelay: info: tls/ssl protocol established with <ip-address>
MichiD
Power-User
Power-User

Beitragvon AlexV » 18. Jan 2008, 13:34

Outgoing Friends is now updated Version 0.5.1, which bundles EmailRelay 1.7, and has a checkbox for TLS.

OutgoingFriends-0.5.exe

Alex
AlexV
Spam-Massenmörder
Spam-Massenmörder

Plugin-Programmierer

Beitragvon anbuva » 19. Mai 2008, 00:07

Hallo AlexV!

SUPER; it works (...GMX) ! Also Vista-Ready! :D
Excuse for the delayed answer! :oops:

Regards