Outlook 2013 and Spamihilator Portable Wizard

For all users, who don't speak German!

Moderator: Forum-Team

Outlook 2013 and Spamihilator Portable Wizard

Beitragvon shulist » 23. Feb 2015, 03:36

I am running Win 8.1 and Outlook 2013 and recently attempted to use Spamihilator Portable with multiple accounts. I read the FAQ A03 which turn out to be not correct for the portable version. You must run Wizard.exe which is in the main Spamihilator directory. Once this runs it is apparent that the wizard does not recognize Outlook 2013 and even if you proceed (on the hope that the screen is wrong) it just finishes and does nothing.

If the wizard does not work with Outlook 2013 then that should be made very clear to the user.

While I read through Forum 22, Post 67018 to see if I could glean some helpful information.

I did get from post that the suggestion to:

1) change the username to be pop3server&username[&port], and
2) the incoming mail server to "localhost" (without the quotes)

but does that mean that all other entries in the profile must be deleted (i.e. port, SSL settings etc?) I will give it a go and report back.

Also the Wizard is confusing to Portable users as it clearly states that it is going to "Install" and this is not what a portable user expects. I presume it is really not going to install but rather configure the inbound server?

I had attached an image of the Wizard screen, and a link to the post but it seems that it will not allow me to post this with either of those attached???
------------------------
2015-02-23 Update
I went ahead and changed all accounts per items 1) and 2) above (did not make any other changes to Outlook) and changed the SSL setting in Spami to Automatically enable SSL. I then re-ran the send/retrieve in Outlook 2013. Success...for a time anyway as Spami brought in over 2500 messages that were already in Outlook. It took me while to figure out just what to do but i eventually confirmed that the valid emails were already present and eventually just deleted them in the Recycle bin after marking them as spam/valid in the Training area.

In summary I will see how Spami performs over the next few weeks. It's a rather simple workaround and it actually gives me some comfort in understanding just what the wizard is doing and if I choose to move away from Spami I can undo those changes.
shulist
User
User

Re: Outlook 2013 and Spamihilator Portable Wizard

Beitragvon Chactory » 25. Feb 2015, 15:14

Hi shulist!

Thank you for your comment!

shulist hat geschrieben:If the wizard does not work with Outlook 2013 then that should be made very clear to the user.
You’re right with your remark.

shulist hat geschrieben:but does that mean that all other entries in the profile must be deleted (i.e. port, SSL settings etc?) I will give it a go and report back.
It’s sort of an extension of the mail-account settings, with the purpose to reroute the mail-reception over Spamihilator.

shulist hat geschrieben:it seems that it will not allow me to post this with either of those attached?
Michel Krämer, the program author of Spamihilator, has setup the forum software in a way to increase security. As far as I remember, you can insert attachments in your postings after three postings.

shulist hat geschrieben:In summary I will see how Spami performs over the next few weeks.
Good luck with filtering! (If you like, you could use my spam-word list and my rules for the rule filter.)

Sincerely,
Chactory
HilfeHelp «en»TippsAnbuva's FAQBob's FAQ «en»SpamwortlisteRegelfilterScreenshotsSSL/TLSSpami 1.6.0
Vostro 3450, Intel Core i5 2410M 2,3 GHz, 4 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333 MHz, Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit SP1

Bild
Chactory
Administrator
Administrator

Administration
Beta-Tester
Forum-Team

Zurück zu English Forum