I can't get Spamihilator to work

For all users, who don't speak German!

Moderator: Forum-Team

I can't get Spamihilator to work

Beitragvon Bunny » 20. Jan 2015, 13:49

Hello,

I downloaded the Spamihilator programme yesterday, hoping that it would help me with the huge amount of spam I receive in my Outlook 2013 application. I installed it and ran the setup wizard (twice) but the programme doesn't appear to do anything. :(

Spamihilator hasn't intercepted a single email yet. The recycle bin and training areas are always empty. I receive about 30-40 spam emails per day, but it hasn't stopped any of them, they continue to arrive in my Outlook inbox. When I open the training area it's always blank / empty, so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do, to get it to work. I checked the frequently asked questions and it told me to re-run the setup wizard, so I did that. I then had a quick google around but I can't find anything helpful that I understand.

I'd be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction. I'm probably not understanding how I'm supposed to use the application. I just installed it, ran the wizard and can see it running in my system tray. After that I continued to check my email as per usual in Outlook. I checked the recycle bin and training area in Spamihilator but, as I said, they are empty all the time.

Am I supposed to do something else?

~Bunny
Bunny
User
User

Re: I can't get Spamihilator to work

Beitragvon Chactory » 20. Jan 2015, 23:11

Hello Bunny!

Welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry for you having experienced discomfort with the mail-account setup.

Perhaps the mail-account assistant, the wizard, has not been able to recognize the Office 2013 Outlook.

If you still want to try, then please go to the help page, where you can find some hints how to arrange the entries in the mail-accounts manually.

Somewhat a little sophisticated could be the following: Spamihilator is only active with the mail-reception, so you have to enter data for that using the Spamihilator-rerouting, but not with the sending, so you have to setup the sending extra, and with the original entries.

Another trick is the SSL/TLS settings, where in most cases the reception should be setup like described in the help, so that Spamihilator will do the rest automatically, but the sending section has to use the SSL/TLS ports and settings as needed for the original account.

Sincerely,
Chactory
HilfeHelp «en»TippsAnbuva's FAQBob's FAQ «en»SpamwortlisteRegelfilterScreenshotsSSL/TLSSpami 1.6.0
Vostro 3450, Intel Core i5 2410M 2,3 GHz, 4 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333 MHz, Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit SP1

Bild
Chactory
Administrator
Administrator

Administration
Beta-Tester
Forum-Team

Beitragvon Bunny » 21. Jan 2015, 15:44

Hello there,

Thank you for your reply but I'm sorry to say I understand only about 2% of what you said.

I'm not a programmer and I don't understand the help menu instructions (I did look before posting). It's talking about configuring things...entering code in places...I can't make head nor tails of it. I could cope with instructions if they gave me step by step guidance (with pictures!) but it doesn't. The help section appears to assume a level of knowledge that I just don't have. I was hoping for something a little easier.

What I can tell you is that the setup wizard most certainly DID detect my Outlook 2013 when I ran it. It popped up and showed me my mail account and everything, so it appeared to install correctly. It just doesn't seem to do anything.

I am using Avast as well as Outlook 2013 - could that have something to do with it?
Bunny
User
User

Beitragvon jmorgie » 21. Jan 2015, 16:27

I have the same problem. just installed spamihilator. Outlook 2013 and win 7 pro. configuration ran fine: found Outlook 2013. showed me the 5 accounts i pull in email from. all were checked. but new email arrives and the training window is empty. How do i get spamihilator to look at the new mail ?
jmorgie

Beitragvon Chactory » 21. Jan 2015, 22:27

Hi all!

Hmm, sorry, I didn't remember that it was not so easy to install everything right when I did it the first time ... :oops:

We could succeed in two ways: Either you could show me screen shots from your mail-account settings, so that I can recognize immediately what misses. Or I can try to serve you with screenshots which show an example before and after the mail-account preparation.

Kind regards,
Chactory
HilfeHelp «en»TippsAnbuva's FAQBob's FAQ «en»SpamwortlisteRegelfilterScreenshotsSSL/TLSSpami 1.6.0
Vostro 3450, Intel Core i5 2410M 2,3 GHz, 4 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333 MHz, Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit SP1

Bild
Chactory
Administrator
Administrator

Administration
Beta-Tester
Forum-Team

Beitragvon jmorgie » 22. Jan 2015, 00:32

Why dont you just explain how Spamihilator works and what to do.
What i understand is: Install Spamihilator. run wizard. Tell it to use Outlook and outlook accounts. do not bother to reboot. start outlook. new messages should show up in the training window automatically -- user does nothing else.

Well, they dont

so then look into client.log; except you do not say where that is. look in Outlook Accounts. see that all the POP3 accounts show up ok.

So I run the Wizard again and say 'Other' then enter the pop server and account details. But that did not work either.
What screenshot would you like to show me? what would you like to tell me about the way i ran the wizard? Or am i missing a piece??

Or maybe this does not work at all with Outlook *2013* ???
jmorgie

Beitragvon jmorgie » 22. Jan 2015, 00:42

ok. I have figure out your cleverness. Here is what you need to explain:

Spamihilator works by reading your email from your email external pop3 server into its own buffer. Then you have to tell Outlook to read mail from Spamihilator and not from your pop3 server. So: first run the wizard which will tell you the funny strings you need to feed to Outlook. then you go into Outlook and delete the accounts. Then manually enter new accounts into Outlook to read from the local Spamhilator installatiion as if it is the pop3 server.

right ?
jmorgie

Beitragvon Bunny » 22. Jan 2015, 21:56

jmorgie hat geschrieben:ok. I have figure out your cleverness. Here is what you need to explain:

Spamihilator works by reading your email from your email external pop3 server into its own buffer. Then you have to tell Outlook to read mail from Spamihilator and not from your pop3 server. So: first run the wizard which will tell you the funny strings you need to feed to Outlook. then you go into Outlook and delete the accounts. Then manually enter new accounts into Outlook to read from the local Spamhilator installation as if it is the pop3 server.

right ?

Seriously, is that what we have to do to get this to work with Outlook 2013? Wow.

I'm with you though jmorgie. I don't know what screenshots to give or where to get them. My earlier question hasn't been answered anyway. I asked whether the problem could have something to do with Avast, which I also use. A quick Google showed me some (albeit old) posts about Avast & Spamihilator....so I'm curious as to whether my issue is with that. Do these two programs still not play together nicely? I know which one I'll choose if it's a problem (sorry).
Bunny
User
User

Beitragvon Chactory » 22. Jan 2015, 22:24

Hi jmorgie,

nearly right. ;) It’s not self-evident which state of knowledge two different users have, telling me that something doesn’t work from remote. I’d thought you were stuck just in the middle of the mail-account settings. But in your second answer it seems as if you had worked out by yourself what you had asked in your first answer:

Yes, Spamihilator acts something like a proxi interconnected between your mail-server (in the internet) and your mail-client (on your computer). Now follows, what you wrote: “Then you have to tell Outlook to read mail from Spamihilator and not from your pop3 server.” The easiest way to do that is to use the wizard, but for some circumstances we do not always know the wizard doesn’t succeed with every user. Then you need to prepare the appropriate entries in you mail-account manually by yourself.

If you had provided me some screen shots from your mail-account, the critical data overpainted precautionarily, I had had the chance to just tell you where the error was. Reverse, I can try to tell you the respective issues on spec:

Name: (unchanged)
Mail address: (unchanged)
Account type: POP3
Incoming mail server: pop.gmx.net –> localhost
Outgoing mail server: (unchanged)
User name: mymail@gmx.de –> pop.gmx.net&mymail@gmx.de
Password: (unchanged)

Now please keep an eye on the sending settings. You have to use “different settings” for mail reception and for sending, the sending entries the same as before.

And last, not least, the server ports have to be watched. For the use with Spamihilator, the POP3 server port in Outlook is always 110, and Spamihilator will automatically try to connect using SSL or TLS with the mail server. For the sending function, you should enter (or keep) the required SSL or TLS server port.

Kind regards,
Chactory

Bild
Chactory
Administrator
Administrator

Administration
Beta-Tester
Forum-Team

Beitragvon Chactory » 22. Jan 2015, 22:36

Hello Bunny!

So I'm triyng to deliver some screen shots, in the sincere hope that they might meet with your questions:

01-spami-original.png
Account entries before the use of Spamihilator
01-spami-original.png (91.22 KiB) 6435-mal betrachtet
01-spami-changed.png
And now with the changes needed for the use with Spamihilator
01-spami-changed.png (91.39 KiB) 6435-mal betrachtet

Kind regards,
Chactory

Bild
Chactory
Administrator
Administrator

Administration
Beta-Tester
Forum-Team

Beitragvon Chactory » 22. Jan 2015, 22:46

Hi Bunny,

if you're stuck with the preparation of your mail account for Spamihilator, it wouldn't have to do with Avast. If all the account changes are correct, then there is a known problem with Avast, because they can't scan SSL/TLS mails. Avast requires inactivation of the SSL/TLS function, or inactivation of the mail scan. As far as I remember right.

Now I hope I got your problem - else it would be very helpful of you two, if you could write me the clear question, so that I don't have to guess what the problem is and make one mistake after another in guessing your question.

Kind regards,
Chactory

Bild
Chactory
Administrator
Administrator

Administration
Beta-Tester
Forum-Team

Beitragvon Bunny » 23. Jan 2015, 21:45

Hi there,

Thank you for posting the screenshots. I can confirm that the setup wizard had run correctly and changed my settings to be correct, near as I can tell. However, Spamihilator does not work. I did state in my first post that I had run the setup wizard without problems. The training area and the recycle bin are empty all the time. I think my English was perfectly clear in my first post regarding this issue, thank you very much. :roll:

It sounds like this is a very technical problem and I'm sorry, but I just don't have the patience or knowledge to solve finicky issues with my computer. I'm sorry to say I've uninstalled Spamihilator and installed a different program I bought today (fairly sure you won't like me posting the name of that program on these forums, so I won't do that). As the new program is working instantly after installation, I'll stick with that one thanks.

Regards, Bunny
Bunny
User
User

Beitragvon Chactory » 25. Jan 2015, 15:01

Hi!

Never had a real chance, had I?

Beginning with my first answer, I had written some explanations to you, hoping to refer to the relevant problem by good luck. But missing precise information and any effort to help me to recognize the problem, I must have failed. I still suspect that you had just not succeeded with your mail-account changes.

And, of course, you always are allowed to mention competing programs by name in this forum – we are self-confident enough to know the advantages and disadvantages of our anti-spam program.

Kind regards,
Chactory

Bild
Chactory
Administrator
Administrator

Administration
Beta-Tester
Forum-Team

Beitragvon tam_e_m » 3. Apr 2015, 15:28

Well, if it helps you feel any better I was having the same problem and I followed the settings in your screen shots. Now everthing's working just the way it should be. Thank you!
tam_e_m

Beitragvon Chactory » 3. Apr 2015, 15:39

Thank you very much for giving such a nice feedback, tam_e_m! Good luck with spamfiltering! :)

Bild
Chactory
Administrator
Administrator

Administration
Beta-Tester
Forum-Team

Nächste

Zurück zu English Forum