Behavior of Training Area and Recycle Bin deletes

For all users, who don't speak German!

Moderator: Forum-Team

Behavior of Training Area and Recycle Bin deletes

Beitragvon eeeehaw » 13. Jun 2012, 08:06

I can't search and find an answer to the following questions:

What happens to the actual message located on (1) the IMAP server and the (2) Outlook 2010 client Inbox after performing a Delete inside the Training Area? Does this behavior change based upon whether the message is marked as Spam, Non-Spam or Uncertain? Eg, when performing a Delete on a message in the Training Area, does Spami mark that message as a Delete on the IMAP server, or just moves it to the Recycle Bin, or does no more than remove it from the Training Area List? Likewise, after the user marks Training Area messages as Spam or Non-Spam and then clicks "Learn", the marked messages disappear from the list, but is there any Delete/Restore on the IMAP server take place at the same time?

Please confirm that any message that Spami marks as Spam and places in the Recycle Bin in turn results in the message being marked as a Delete on the IMAP server. However, when a message in the Recycle Bin is marked for Restore, is the Deletion maker removed from that message on the IMAP server?

Like most IMAP users, I access my IMAP email server from multiple devices/clients (desktop, laptop, phone, tablet) and want Spami to mark spam for deletion on the IMAP server, so that all client devices will enjoy spam-free email. Of course, those client devices are configured to NOT display messages marked for deletion (in which case I use Outlook to Purge all of those deleted messages occasionally), or else the IMAP server is configured to permanently delete/purge messages as thy are being marked for deletion.

I am seeing spam messages show up in my IMAP server that I thought had been deleted by Spami either automatically or via manual action in the Recycle Bin. Thus, I'm tring to better understand how Spami works with IMAP.
eeeehaw
User
User

Re: Behavior of Training Area and Recycle Bin deletes

Beitragvon eeeehaw » 22. Jun 2012, 03:29

After doing some experiments and watching what happens to my IMAP server Inbox via my hoster's web interface, I can confirm that it appears that Spami will mark a message for deletion on the IMAP server when it places that message header into the Recycle Bin. Deleting that message manually in the Spami Recycle Bin does NOT appear to "purge" (permanently delete) that marked message on the IMAP server.

I submit that this is a problem, particularly for those IMAP users who access their IMAP host server with multiple devices, such as a mobile phone in addition to a notebook computer. Mobile phone email clients often do not provide the user option to View the Inbox (or other IMAP folders) with NOT displaying messages marked for deletion...this means that the spam messages are still displayed on the mobile phone! In my case, that can mean up to 400 additional messages per day that I'd rather not see.

Deleting the same message from the Training Area does not seem to result in Spami marking the message for deletion on the IMAP server. This is okay, if I had the option of doing the server purge from the Spami Recycle Bin, or if there were an option for Spami to automatically do a Purge when it marks an IMAP message for Delete during normal spam deletion operations.

I'm now also wondering how deleting messages from the Training Area in Spami affects the Learning module. It kinda looks like the Training Area keeps a file of data on spam & non-spam messages during learning, that grows to a user configurable maximum size. Am I right about that? And that it may be that simply deleting messages from the Training Area (ie, without marking them "Spam" or "Non-Spam" and performing the "Learn" operation) should have NO effect on the "learned" info that has already taken place?

FYI: my hoster uses qmail MTA, and Open-Xchange for webmail interface into that. My email client on my Win7 (32b) notebook is Outlook 2010 Pro.
eeeehaw
User
User

Zurück zu English Forum