Spam sent to mail client and aren't in Training Area

For all users, who don't speak German!

Moderator: Forum-Team

Spam sent to mail client and aren't in Training Area

Beitragvon johnbkc » 9. Feb 2012, 06:14

I've been searching for a few weeks for an answer to this problem and I've tried most everything listed on the forums.

I use Outlook 2010 (IMAP) on Windows 7 Professional and Spamihilator 1.0.0. I have four email accounts, but only one gets the bulk of the spam, which I understand.

I've noticed that Spami will catch some of the spam email on this particular account but not all of it. The spam it doesn't catch are delivered to the mail client and not found in the training area. Overall, it is catching most of the spam, but I'd like to be able to do some training when it doesn't. I should say that it was working flawlessly until the last few months. I will also note that Spami caught the account activation link for this forum as spam for the account that's seeing these problem. So it does still catch a large chunk of spam.

I've switched all email accounts "back" to the original configuration without spamihilator, and manually configured them using localhost and imapserver&username as required. Have the same results..this account still has messages that show up in the mailclient that aren't in Spami training area. I also turned off the learn from friends list messages.

Since it's been awhile (and I'm a glutton for punishment) I completely reimaged my system from scratch and reloaded everything. So, this is a brand new fresh install of the OS and all software and clean install of Spami 1.0.0. I didn't load my Outlook files/settings from a backup, I just let IMAP rebuild everything. Then I installed Spami 1.0.0 and let it do the configuration.

I do not have my email addresses listed in the friends list, when I look at the mail headers, I don't see my email address in them. I've turned on logging (with a recommended plug-in, Filter Statistics) and don't see anything relevant to report in the logfiles that's specific to these mysteriously appearing messages.

I've tried sorting the training area by subject, account name and time. Nothing. I just can't explain why this is happening. I'm willing to export my entire friends file and delete all of them if that's something that'll help figure out the root cause.

I suspect that this is (as usual) going to be something that I completely overlooked. But I've made absolutely sure to not change any settings to this point.

Thanks, in advance, for your thoughts and assistance.

John
johnbkc
User
User

Re: Spam sent to mail client and aren't in Training Area

Beitragvon Chactory » 11. Feb 2012, 01:49

Hi John,

thank you very much for working this out in such a perfect way. Now you nearly left nothing for me to review ... ;)

"The spam it doesn't catch are delivered to the mail client and not found in the training area"
Please read Quellcore's advices about this, see viewtopic.php?p=49991#p49991. Possibly you have your own mail address in the friends list.

"I do not have my email addresses listed in the friends list"
Oh, sorry ... Hmm, next idea is, please check, if another filter programm interferes with Spamihilator. Some security suites have mail filters within. And further, Outlook has a junk filter activated by default. Please look into the junk filter folders.

"I will also note that Spami caught the account activation link for this forum as spam"
It would be very helpful, if you would regard the filtering reason, which you find at the bottom of the training window. Maybe it was the DCC filter, and you should heighten the threashold.

Kind regards,
Chactory
HilfeHelp «en»TippsAnbuva's FAQBob's FAQ «en»SpamwortlisteRegelfilterScreenshotsSSL/TLSSpami 1.6.0
Vostro 3450, Intel Core i5 2410M 2,3 GHz, 4 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333 MHz, Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit SP1

Bild
Chactory
Administrator
Administrator

Administration
Beta-Tester
Forum-Team

Re: Spam sent to mail client and aren't in Training Area

Beitragvon Quellcore » 11. Feb 2012, 17:49

Hallo johnbkc!

As Chactory already said you did a very good job trying to get to the root of your problem even that you haven't been successful yet.

I would like to point out a few more things:
  • All filtering activity done by Spami will be documented in the filter.log once Filter logging is enabled.
    Once a mail gets processed through Spami there has to be a corresponding entry for this mail in the filter.log regardless of its classification as 'SPAM', 'HAM' or 'Unknown Classification'. Could you try to look again if you accidentally overlooked these entries in the filter.log?
  • It seems you already worked through the Forum Thread that Chactory referred to.
    That Thread is rather old and i should really take the time and update it to reflect recent changes and new filters.
    For Example also the new Rule Filter also has the ability to bypass the Training Area (individually per Rule or even in general).

Good with your further investigations!

Regards,
Quellcore
CPU:Intel Core i7-2700K Processor (@ 45*100 = 4500 MHz)
Board:ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3
Ram: 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series (4 x 4GB) DDR3 2133 (Timings 10-10-10-28 2T @ 1866 MHz)
SSD: Samsung 128GB 2.5-inch SSD 830 Series (Desktop)
HDD-1: WD Caviar® SE16 640 GB, SATA2, 16 MB Cache, 7200 RPM
HDD-2: SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 ST2000DL004 2TB 32MB Cache
Graphic: ATI Radeon HD 5850 ASUS EAH5850/G/2DIS/1GD5

Win 7 Ultimate 64-Bit / ESET NOD32 Antivirus 8.0 / Firefox 34 / Thunderbird 31
Spamihilator 1.6.0
Quellcore
Assistent
Assistent

Beta-Tester

Zurück zu English Forum