Compacting

For all users, who don't speak German!

Moderator: Forum-Team

Compacting

Beitragvon castle411 » 8. Feb 2011, 15:48

Hi,

I'm experiencing a problem with excessive compacting. Every time Spamilator v 0.9.9.53 deletes a file from the recycle bin, it triggers a message to compact. It continues to put that message up until a compact is done.

I have my e-mail checked every hour throughout the day. If an e-mail is deleted, that message hounds me until I compact.

From what I understand from Microsoft, there is a counter in the registry that must reach 100 before a message is triggered to compact. I now seem to get that message if even 1 message is deleted.

Can you help.

I use Outlook Express in Win XP. All updates have been installed. I have multiple e-mail addresses
castle411
User
User

Re: Compacting

Beitragvon Chactory » 9. Feb 2011, 23:48

Hi,

sorry, but I didn't understand the problem.

castle411 hat geschrieben:I'm experiencing a problem with excessive compacting. ... there is a counter in the registry that must reach 100 before a message is triggered to compact.

Please give me some more explanations about what you've watched and about compacting e-mails. (I don't believe that Spamihilator has to do with compacting.)

Regards, Chactory
HilfeHelp «en»TippsAnbuva's FAQBob's FAQ «en»SpamwortlisteRegelfilterScreenshotsSSL/TLSSpami 1.6.0
Vostro 3450, Intel Core i5 2410M 2,3 GHz, 4 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333 MHz, Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit SP1

Bild
Chactory
Administrator
Administrator

Administration
Beta-Tester
Forum-Team

Beitragvon castle411 » 10. Feb 2011, 02:35

In Outlook Express, in the registry key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Identities/"your current e-mail identity"/Software/Microsoft/Outlook Express/5.0", there is a counter called "Compact Check Count". Every time an e-mail is deleted, the counter is increases by 1 until the counter reached 100. When 100 is reached, the following message is triggered.

<To free up disk space, Outlook Express can compact messages. This may take a few minutes.>

According to Microsoft, when a message is deleted, the space it occupied remains unless the folder of the entire Inbox is compacted to reduce the space taken.

I have my e-mail checked every hour. On most days, I don't receive 100 messages in a day, yet, since I installed Spamilator, every time I go to spamilator and delete messages in the Recycle Bin, that message is triggered.

I hope this explains it better.

Vince
castle411
User
User

Beitragvon Chactory » 10. Feb 2011, 17:40

Hi Vince,

thank you for explaining the question to me. Still I'm not sure about the connex to Spamihilator.

Could you try what happens when you remove the Spamihilator-entries in your mail-account?

Regards, Chactory
HilfeHelp «en»TippsAnbuva's FAQBob's FAQ «en»SpamwortlisteRegelfilterScreenshotsSSL/TLSSpami 1.6.0
Vostro 3450, Intel Core i5 2410M 2,3 GHz, 4 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333 MHz, Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit SP1

Bild
Chactory
Administrator
Administrator

Administration
Beta-Tester
Forum-Team

Beitragvon anbuva » 10. Feb 2011, 18:08

Hallo castle411!

The problem is with the registry counter that gives you the prompt after 100 closings of OE. It is being increased quicker than it should be and even if you are not using OE.

There is a growing number of programs and actions that may be causing this after installing SP3. Various anti-virus, anti-spyware and third party firewalls, especially if they were running when you installed SP3. Opening EML files while OE is closed will also contribute to the registry count.

Why that should be triggered by Spamihilator, I can not understand. :?

Recent archived thread discussing this compact issue:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsof ... s.general/

Regards
anbuva
anbuva
Administrator
Administrator

Administration
Beta-Tester
Forum-Team

Zurück zu English Forum