How to manually restore messages from the recycle bin folder

For all users, who don't speak German!

Moderator: Forum-Team

How to manually restore messages from the recycle bin folder

Beitragvon Ahzz » 13. Jul 2010, 06:04

I found this out by accident while trying to fix another problem. Spamihilator stores messages it shows in the recycle bin, in a folder of the same name, well just "recycle" really. The files are given numbers as names and they end in .recycle, all the message information is listed in the recyclebin.xml file in the same folder. If you use a program like windows xml notepad to view the recyclebin.xml file, you can find the number that Spamihilator assigned the message and the "Original Subject" of the message. Now copy the file you want to restore to the desktop and rename the file to the "Original Subject.eml". You should now be able to open the message with your e-mail program and/or drag it back into your e-mail program like any other e-mail file.
Well, that is the way it worked for me. Let me know how it works for you.
Ahzz
Spam-Jäger
Spam-Jäger

Re: How to manually restore messages from the recycle bin folder

Beitragvon michel » 25. Jul 2010, 11:33

Hi Ahzz!

Thank you very much for that helpful tip!

Regards,
Michel
Chuck Norris doesn't kill Spam. He uses Spamihilator! ;-)
michel
Administrator
Administrator

Administration
Beta-Tester
Forum-Team
Plugin-Programmierer

Beitragvon anbuva » 25. Jul 2010, 12:18

Hallo michel!

a good tip. That would be what also for the German side...

Regards
anbuva
anbuva
Administrator
Administrator

Administration
Beta-Tester
Forum-Team

Beitragvon michel » 16. Okt 2010, 16:08

Hi!

Just for the record: the next version will not offer this possibility of retrieving mails anymore. Instead the feature "File/Save as..." should be used. It works the same and is more user friendly.

Bye
Michel
michel
Administrator
Administrator

Administration
Beta-Tester
Forum-Team
Plugin-Programmierer

Beitragvon Ahzz » 19. Okt 2010, 19:33

So, Spamihilator is going to include a "File/Save as..." option for restoring "lost" messages out of the "Recycle BIN", but what if they are not showing in the Recycle BIN screen but have not been removed from the hard drive?
Ahzz
Spam-Jäger
Spam-Jäger

Beitragvon Chactory » 23. Okt 2010, 11:03

michel hat geschrieben:the next version will not offer this possibility of retrieving mails anymore. Instead the feature "File/Save as..." should be used.

Hmm ... why shouldn't that work any more? Is it because of the database solution you're working on?

Ahzz hat geschrieben:So, Spamihilator is going to include a "File/Save as..." option for restoring "lost" messages out of the "Recycle BIN", but what if they are not showing in the Recycle BIN screen but have not been removed from the hard drive?

Spamihilator has a "save as" solution in it already, as you can see in the following screenshot:
zzwischenablage.gif
zzwischenablage.gif (18.58 KiB) 21555-mal betrachtet
HilfeHelp «en»TippsAnbuva's FAQBob's FAQ «en»SpamwortlisteRegelfilterScreenshotsSSL/TLSSpami 1.6.0
Vostro 3450, Intel Core i5 2410M 2,3 GHz, 4 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333 MHz, Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit SP1

Bild
Chactory
Administrator
Administrator

Administration
Beta-Tester
Forum-Team

Beitragvon michel » 23. Okt 2010, 12:31

Hi!

Yes, the recyclebin.xml file will be replaced by a SQLite database. So, Ahzz's tip will not work exactly as described anymore. You will have to use a SQLite client to open the database, look up the filename and then copy the message from the new "messages" subdirectory. But as I said, the "File/Save as" feature should be a lot more comfortable.

Regards,
Michel
michel
Administrator
Administrator

Administration
Beta-Tester
Forum-Team
Plugin-Programmierer

Beitragvon Chactory » 25. Okt 2010, 10:34

Hello Michel!

Thank you for answering. :)

Regards, Chactory
HilfeHelp «en»TippsAnbuva's FAQBob's FAQ «en»SpamwortlisteRegelfilterScreenshotsSSL/TLSSpami 1.6.0
Vostro 3450, Intel Core i5 2410M 2,3 GHz, 4 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333 MHz, Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit SP1

Bild
Chactory
Administrator
Administrator

Administration
Beta-Tester
Forum-Team

Beitragvon Ahzz » 25. Okt 2010, 17:54

Yes, I see your point about using Spamihilator's own "File/Save as..." option, IF the message(s) shows in the Recycle Bin or the Training Area. But the "lost" messages I'm discussing, don't show in Spamihilator (for whatever the reason) or if the files are being manually recovered from a crashed system and/or drive. That is when knowing where and how Spamihilator stores the messages and information about them on the hard drive becomes really important. And many thanks to you both, for keeping my post current, with screen shots and updated database file type. I only hope this helps people avoid the headaches I was having before I stumbled on this information by accident.
Ahzz
Spam-Jäger
Spam-Jäger

Beitragvon Chactory » 25. Okt 2010, 18:32

Hello Ahzz!

:)

Gruß, Chactory

Bild
Chactory
Administrator
Administrator

Administration
Beta-Tester
Forum-Team

Re: How to manually restore messages from the recycle bin fo

Beitragvon Ahzz » 8. Okt 2013, 23:23

I thought I would pass on an update to this thread, as I just had to attempt to "recover" an email my mother lost when she clicked "Empty bin" instead of clicking "Restore" like she wanted. I located both the messages.db file & the emails stored as .msg files in the messages folder. I used the recommended SQlite Administrator program to view the message information (click the "Edit data" tab in SQlite after loading the .db file) & although there were 18 emails listed, the one she was looking for was not among them. She had checked her email twice since she emptied the recycle bin & before she called me.

I ran a quick test to see just what happened, I sent myself an email, which was blocked by Spami (I use the friends only setting), I then emptied the recycle bin. I opened the messages.db file & it still showed the message information, then I copied the .msg file out of the message folder to my Desktop. Renamed the extension from .msg to .eml & opened it (all good). I then opened my email program & checked for new email. Going back to the messages.db file & the messages folder showed that the earlier message was now gone.

So it appears that any messages that are in the Recycle bin when it is emptied are removed the next time Spamihilator checks for messages. Once again timing is everything if you want to recover "lost" files.
Ahzz
Spam-Jäger
Spam-Jäger

Beitragvon Chactory » 9. Okt 2013, 03:06

Hello Ahzz!

Thank you for your detailed report!
Is this with Spamihilator 1.0, or still with 1.5?

Kind regards,
Chactory

Bild
Chactory
Administrator
Administrator

Administration
Beta-Tester
Forum-Team

Beitragvon Ahzz » 9. Okt 2013, 05:31

It's with 1.5.0. My mom is running Windows 8 64-bit on her tower & I'm running Windows 7 64-bit on my laptop.
Ahzz
Spam-Jäger
Spam-Jäger

Beitragvon Chactory » 16. Okt 2013, 12:19

Hi Ahzz!

Thank you for your informations. I'm ponderring about that ... is it a desired behaviour of the Spamihilator program, or does it bother you or me in our work?

Cheers,
Chactory

Bild
Chactory
Administrator
Administrator

Administration
Beta-Tester
Forum-Team

Beitragvon Ahzz » 16. Okt 2013, 17:08

Chactory hat geschrieben:I'm ponderring about that ... is it a desired behaviour of the Spamihilator program, or does it bother you or me in our work?

Which "that" are we pondering?
Ahzz
Spam-Jäger
Spam-Jäger

Zurück zu English Forum