[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4694: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Spamihilator » Thema anzeigen - Blocking Sender Name

Blocking Sender Name

For all users, who don't speak German!

Moderator: Forum-Team

Blocking Sender Name

Beitragvon idbit » 20. Apr 2010, 17:02

Hi, I'm having problems with blocking emails which contain spam words in the Sender's name.

For example, in the Rules Filter, I set a rule to Satisfy all conditions: "Sender - contains - the spamword". Yet it still allows emails that contain the spamword in the Sender's name. I've also set "Message (with html) - contains - the spamword" - with no results.

I also added the spamword to the Substrings filter. The Substring filter seems to cover alot. But it overlooks spam words that are buried in the Sender's name.

It seems that the spammers have found this loophole and are using it quite frequently now. Any ideas?

Thanks!
-IB
idbit
User
User

Re: Blocking Sender Name

Beitragvon Quellcore » 20. Apr 2010, 23:57

CPU: (@ 45*100 = 4500 MHz)
Board:
Ram: 16GB (Timings 10-10-10-28 2T @ 1866 MHz)
SSD:
HDD-1: WD Caviar® SE16 640 GB, SATA2, 16 MB Cache, 7200 RPM
HDD-2: SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 ST2000DL004 2TB 32MB Cache
Graphic: ATI Radeon HD 5850

Win 7 Ultimate 64-Bit / ESET NOD32 Antivirus 8.0 / Firefox 34 / Thunderbird 31
Spamihilator 1.6.0
Quellcore
Assistent
Assistent

Beta-Tester

Beitragvon idbit » 21. Apr 2010, 15:57

Thanks for the help Quellcore! I have everything configured as you mentioned. I have alot of experience working with Spamihilator, so I know all the ins and outs.

I did just test this by changing one of my email addresses' Name in Outlook Express' Accounts settings to "* POLICY VIOLATION ! * Supplier": For the email address: Tools > Accounts > Mail > Properties > General > User Information > Name: "* POLICY VIOLATION ! * Supplier". (This seems to be what the spammers are doing.) I then sent myself an email from this address.

Well this time it worked. My rule setting picked it up:
Reason: sender - * POLICY VIOLATION ! * (Sender contains "* POLICY VIOLATION ! *")

I'll have to test this some more. I'm seeing many that slip through. * POLICY VIOLATION ! * will clearly be in the Sender's name. I check the email source code. I'm a web designer, so I know the tricks you can use with css, html, and misspellings. I don't see that kind of trickery when "* POLICY VIOLATION ! *" is in the sender name. It's spelled out plainly, but still getting through. I'll wait for the next one to slip through and report back.

It would be nice though if the Substrings filter checked the entire email. Because it seems again like the one thing the Substring filter does not look at is the Sender name. In fact, the Substrings filter should have picked up my test email from above because I have Substrings one stop higher than Rules in my priority - and * POLICY VIOLATION ! * is a word that should be blocked by Substrings.

I'll report back after one of these slips through. It shouldn't be long.

Thanks again!
-IB
idbit
User
User

Beitragvon Quellcore » 21. Apr 2010, 22:32

CPU: (@ 45*100 = 4500 MHz)
Board:
Ram: 16GB (Timings 10-10-10-28 2T @ 1866 MHz)
SSD:
HDD-1: WD Caviar® SE16 640 GB, SATA2, 16 MB Cache, 7200 RPM
HDD-2: SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 ST2000DL004 2TB 32MB Cache
Graphic: ATI Radeon HD 5850

Win 7 Ultimate 64-Bit / ESET NOD32 Antivirus 8.0 / Firefox 34 / Thunderbird 31
Spamihilator 1.6.0
Quellcore
Assistent
Assistent

Beta-Tester

Beitragvon idbit » 25. Apr 2010, 14:30

Okay, I finally figured this out. The emails that were slipping through just happened to contain one of my Whitestring filter words. I have the Whitestring filter first in priority. They're getting smart. They add a block of 2,000 or so random words to the bottom of the email. If they get lucky, one of those words will be on your whitelist.

Quellcore, thanks for the tips. I've been using the Substring filter because it's fast. Just enter your word and click OK. The Rules filter requires alot more interaction. Is there a "catch-all" in the Rules filter? For each rule, I've been adding "Subject contains xxxx", "Sender contains xxxx", "Message (with HTML) contains xxxx". Does "Message (with HTML)" cover everything?

So far the Substring filter has been good, but I think it was failing to catch spam words in the Sender. Also it wouldn't take words that begin with a period. I added .ru and still they were slipping through. So I made a rule for .ru instead. Also when they make a V with the slash keys: \/. That didn't work in the Substring filter, so I made a rule for that also.

Thanks again for the help!
-IB
idbit
User
User

Beitragvon idbit » 26. Apr 2010, 16:55

idbit
User
User

Zurück zu English Forum