Interesting Terminal Services Access Quirk

For all users, who don't speak German!

Moderator: Forum-Team

Interesting Terminal Services Access Quirk

Beitragvon nyle » 18. Jul 2007, 13:00

First of all, Thanks for the GREAT software. I really appreciate your efforts. :D

Here is a minor problem that I've had with Spamihilator and the work around.

I use Terminal Services to access my XP computer remotely and use Thunderbird to check my email through Spamihilator. This problem doesn't seem to be affected by version as it's occured with 9.9.9 through 9.9.29.

When I come in via Terminal Services and open Thuderbird Spamihilator fails to accept the connection and retrieve mail. If I unload and reload Spamihilator everything works fine. Including working from the computer directly when I get home.

This isn't a "terminal" problem but only a minor annoyance but I thought I would let you know in case it is also a minor fix. :)
nyle
User
User

Re: Interesting Terminal Services Access Quirk

Beitragvon Chactory » 18. Jul 2007, 17:07

Hello nyle!

Thanks for your report. Does the same phenomenon occurr also, when you simply work with your computer directly (sitting in front of it)?

Regards, Chactory
HilfeHelp «en»TippsAnbuva's FAQBob's FAQ «en»SpamwortlisteRegelfilterScreenshotsSSL/TLSSpami 1.6.0
Vostro 3450, Intel Core i5 2410M 2,3 GHz, 4 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333 MHz, Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit SP1

Bild
Chactory
Administrator
Administrator

Administration
Beta-Tester
Forum-Team

Beitragvon Gast » 18. Jul 2007, 18:53

Chactory hat geschrieben:Hello nyle!

Thanks for your report. Does the same phenomenon occurr also, when you simply work with your computer directly (sitting in front of it)?

Regards, Chactory

Thanks.

No, it only happens when I user Terminal Services. Otherwise, Spamihilator works correctly all the time. I can duplicate this behavior every time I come in via Terminal Services.

When I'm working directly at the computer it works fine. Even after I've used the work around in TS.

To be more clear: I come in remotely, it doesn't work. I unload and reload it, it works. At this point if I exit TS and come back in again it still works. If
I go home log back into the machine directly, it also works. However, later if I then remote(TS) into the machine after I've worked at it directly I must do the work around.

It seems to be the first time I use TS, I must re-initialize something in Spamihilator by unloading and reloading it.

Let me know if I can give and more details. I'm running 9.9.30 now.
Gast

Beitragvon Chactory » 19. Jul 2007, 18:10

Thank you, nyle, for your perfect description.

Could it maybe have to do something within the user rights, when you open the Terminal Services the first time after having used the computer locally?

Regards, Chactory
HilfeHelp «en»TippsAnbuva's FAQBob's FAQ «en»SpamwortlisteRegelfilterScreenshotsSSL/TLSSpami 1.6.0
Vostro 3450, Intel Core i5 2410M 2,3 GHz, 4 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333 MHz, Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit SP1

Bild
Chactory
Administrator
Administrator

Administration
Beta-Tester
Forum-Team

Beitragvon Gast » 20. Jul 2007, 13:01

Chactory hat geschrieben:Thank you, nyle, for your perfect description.

Could it maybe have to do something within the user rights, when you open the Terminal Services the first time after having used the computer locally?

Regards, Chactory

:) I appreciate the ideas. The user I'm using is the same remotely and locally and is an Administrator. I stopped using Limited User accounts on the machines I support because they caused problems with too many pieces of software. The users didn't like having to type a username and password just to use Office.

This machine is a fresh install but the problem was the same before the install. There isn't a lot of extra software installed and before I put anything on now, I test it with VMWare Server first.

Spamihilator is working great and consitently except for the problem described and as I said it's only a minor problem with a simple work around.

Is there any debugging information I can send to the developers? I'd be happy to run Spamihilator in debug mode and duplicate the problem.

Thanks,
-Nyle
Gast

Beitragvon Chactory » 21. Jul 2007, 11:17

Hello Nyle!

Thank you for your effort about this problem and for your interest in Spamihilator.
Perhaps first look after the client.log- and the server.log-files.

Gruß, Chactory

Bild
Chactory
Administrator
Administrator

Administration
Beta-Tester
Forum-Team

Re: I have the same problem

Beitragvon 2pints_please » 22. Okt 2008, 00:25

Chactory hat geschrieben:Hello Nyle!

Thank you for your effort about this problem and for your interest in Spamihilator.
Perhaps first look after the client.log- and the server.log-files.

Gruß, Chactory

I am having the same problem mentioned above, it only started recently. For example: I login on to my local computer and send/receive mail OK, I don't log out but I use terminal services to login remotely (same user - so local logon is transferred to remote) - mail does not work. I go back to my computer and log back in locally (same user - picking up session where remote login left off) mail works again. There is no reboot of system or restart of spamihilator between these email attempts. What I have noticed is that when logged on remotely no process is listening on ports 25, 110, 993 or 995!! which can be seen by a) netstat -a and b) by trying telnet localhost 110 (no answer) but when I am logged on locally spamihilator has these ports allocated. As spamihilator is not listening on the 110 port it never oogs anything in client.log - so no additional info is available. I have searched the web but cannot find any reason why this should be so - but maybe I'm not asking the right questions. For me, this only started within the last 2 months or so, before this it all worked no problems at all.

Not ideal, but I can live with it, but even an explanation would be good. Weird!

Callum
2pints_please

Beitragvon michel » 22. Okt 2008, 15:58

Hi!

This has something to do with fast user switching supported by Windows XP and higher. Spamihilator is able to run twice in memory, but only one instance listens to the POP3/IMAP ports. This instance is the one running on the account that is currently logged in and whose session is not locked. Apparently Spamihilator is not able to differentiate between locked sessions and those opened up by the terminal service. I will put that on my TODO list. Thanks for the hint.

Regards,
Michel
Chuck Norris doesn't kill Spam. He uses Spamihilator! ;-)
michel
Administrator
Administrator

Administration
Beta-Tester
Forum-Team
Plugin-Programmierer

Beitragvon wjvt » 3. Dez 2008, 22:05

I have spotted the same problem in spaminhilator version 0.9.9.43

In the earlier versions a terminal services connection works well.

Now i'm back on version 0.9.9.9 and i can use the teminal services again (wich is a must for me)

Regards

Willem Jan
wjvt
User
User

Beitragvon Gast » 24. Sep 2009, 11:40

Hallo wjvt!

I have the same problem.
I have tried on web version Spamihilator 0.9.9.9, that it doesn't exist on the Spamihilator official site.
This version works fine, i would like to know information about it, if I can use this version

Thanks
Regard

Gruß
Anonymous
Gast

Beitragvon Chactory » 24. Sep 2009, 12:00

Hi,

I still have a 0.9.9.9 setup file hoarded in my old Spamihilator folders.
Does it really work with 0.9.9.9 the way you need it, and not with 0.9.9.44?

Regards, Chactory

Bild
Chactory
Administrator
Administrator

Administration
Beta-Tester
Forum-Team

Beitragvon michel » 30. Sep 2009, 06:52

Hi!

By the way: We're currently working on a new version. Windows' fast user switching will be supported. At the same time, I will also make some tests with terminal services. If I can reproduce the problems, I will fix them. So, the next official version should work with terminal services again.

Sincerely,
Michel
Chuck Norris doesn't kill Spam. He uses Spamihilator! ;-)
michel
Administrator
Administrator

Administration
Beta-Tester
Forum-Team
Plugin-Programmierer

Zurück zu English Forum