German to English translator: Now it's easier!

For all users, who don't speak German!

Moderator: Forum-Team

German to English translator: Now it's easier!

Beitragvon Bob Loeffler » 15. Jan 2004, 10:23

Hi all,

!!!!! UPDATED !!!!!

I'm an American who doesn't speak German, so trying to translate the German messages in this forum has been a tedious adventure to say the least. :-)

The two best translators that I've found so far are http://www.google.com and babelfish.altavista.com, although they both have a few problems. In addition, going back and forth between this forum and the translator website has also been a little time consuming and confusing, so I have created a simple form on my website that will translate a full page of German text to English (using either website). The form is at the top of this website:

http://www.peaktopeak.com/spamihilator/

You will then see these options:

Bild

You can select whether you want to translate the forum "index", a specific "forum" page or a "topic" page. The forum pages have a list of the topics in a specific forum. The topic pages have the actual messages in a message thread format.

All you have to do is select which kind of page you want to translate (index, forum or topic), enter the forum or topic page number (e.g. 16 for the "Plugins/Add Ons" forum), select which translator website to use, and then click on the Translate button. The page will be translated and then displayed in the lower window frame. The top window frame will still be there if you want to translate more pages. Note that no number needs to be entered to translate the forum index page.

The easiest way to do all of this is to have one web browser window open, go to the Spamihilator Forum and log in (if you are a registered user). Then move this browser window to the left side of your screen. Then open another browser window, move it to the right side of your screen, go to my website, and use the form to translate Spamihilator Forum pages.

Unfortunately, the translated page can't be used as a logged-in user, but at least you can read the message forums and topics. If you need to reply to a message topic as a logged-in user, go back to the browser window on the left side of your screen, go to the specific topic, and reply from there. Also, if the topic thread is really long, some of the text in messages at the bottom of the thread might not get translated because both translators have a limit to the amount of text that can be translated on a page.

I hope this helps some of you. It has made it much easier for me. If you use another translator that can translate a full page at a time, let me know and I'll add it to my website's form (allowing you the option of which translator to use). There are two other translators (dict.leo.org and http://www.freetranslation.com) that were mentioned here in the English Forum, but they don't seem to be able to translate full pages.

Regards,

Bob Loeffler
English Spamihilator FAQ - Spamihilator questions and answers in English!
Author of these plugins and filters: Attachment Extensions Filter, Empty Mail Filter, HTML Links Filter, No Comment! Filter, Plain Text Links Filter, Scripts Filter, Unclassified Filter, Export Senders Plugin and Filter Statistics Plugin. See the details here!
Bob Loeffler

Forum-Team
Plugin-Programmierer

Re: German to English translator: Now it's easier!

Beitragvon Bob Loeffler » 29. Mär 2004, 23:36

Hi all,

Please notice that my website translator has been updated to include:

1. allow for translation by Babelfish (altavista.com) website
2. allow translation of the Spamihilator forum "index" page

Please see the original message in this topic for full details and a new picture of the translation options.

Regards,

Bob
Author of these plugins and filters: Attachment Extensions Filter, Empty Mail Filter, HTML Links Filter, No Comment! Filter, Plain Text Links Filter, Scripts Filter, Unclassified Filter, Export Senders Plugin and Filter Statistics Plugin. See the details here!
Bob Loeffler

Forum-Team
Plugin-Programmierer

Beitragvon Andreas_Z » 30. Mär 2004, 20:45

Hi Bob!

Cool! But, from where you get the numbers?

Greeting Andreas
Core i7 3,4 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win7 64bit SP1, GDATA Bussiness 11.0
Exchange-Server 2003, VM mit WinXP Pro SP3.
Spami-Online-Hilfe, Spami-FAQ, Anbuva's FAQ
Andreas_Z
Administrator
Administrator

Administration
Beta-Tester
Forum-Team

Beitragvon S3bast1an » 30. Mär 2004, 21:01

Andreas_Z hat geschrieben:Hi Bob!

Cool! But, from where you get the numbers?

Greeting Andreas

Don`'t you own a ten-sided dice ??? Simply roll it five times and you got it #)

Gruss
S.

Bild
childintime[äht]gmx.de ;) ...
Tragt eure Mailkontodaten hier ein, damit für möglichst viele Provider Hilfe angeboten werden kann.
Bild
S3bast1an
Forumjunkie
Forumjunkie

Plugin-Programmierer

Beitragvon Bob Loeffler » 30. Mär 2004, 21:05

Hi Andreas,

You can see the number in your web browser's status bar when you put your mouse cursor over a forum link (e.g. "English Forum") or over a topic link (e.g. "German to English translator: Now it's easier!"). Most web browsers (including Netscape and Internet Explorer) do this.

You can also see it in the URL Address box of your web browser when you click on one of those links. For example, if I click on the "English Forum" link in the main Spamihilator Forum Index page, I see the following in my web browser's URL address box:

http://www.spamihilator.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=22

Notice the number at the end ("22"). That is the forum number. You can see that it is a forum number because of the web page ("viewforum.php") and the parameter ("f=").

Now click on a topic link in the English Forum, e.g. "German to English translator: Now it's easier!". You will see this URL in the Address box:

http://www.spamihilator.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1955

Notice the number at the end ("1955"). That is the topic number. You can see that it is a topic number because of the web page ("viewtopic.php") and the parameter ("t=").

Of course, since these are already in English, you wouldn't need to translate them to English again. (If you do, you will see some strange words.)

I hope that helps everyone. :D

Regards,

Bob
Bob Loeffler

Forum-Team
Plugin-Programmierer

Beitragvon Andreas_Z » 31. Mär 2004, 22:04

Hello Bob!

Thank you very much :D ! The forum number was noticeable to me never. I however already knew the topic nummer. But it did not work yesterday. Why??? Ahhh, i confounded the forum number with the number behind the "p =". "p="-numbers you can found when you put your mouse cursor over a quotation button :wink: .

Now everything is clear :lol: .

PS: Is a switching possibility between German-English and English-German translations planned?

@Sebastian: I have five ten-sided cubes. And I roll all at the same time 8) .

Greeting Andreas
Andreas_Z
Administrator
Administrator

Administration
Beta-Tester
Forum-Team

Beitragvon Bob Loeffler » 31. Mär 2004, 23:13

Hi Andreas,

I wasn't planning on an "English to German" translator, but I could do it if you want. You can do it by slightly editing the URL after you have used one of the translators. In the Google.com URL, you will see:

&langpair=de%7Cen

Just change it to:

&langpair=en%7Cde

But if you really want me to put it on the website, I can do that easily. ;-)

Gruss,

Bob
Bob Loeffler

Forum-Team
Plugin-Programmierer

Beitragvon S3bast1an » 31. Mär 2004, 23:23

Andreas_Z hat geschrieben:@Sebastian: I have five ten-sided cubes. And I roll all at the same time 8)

And the you combine the five dices in any possible combination and go through the postings #)

Gruss
S.
childintime[äht]gmx.de ;) ...
Tragt eure Mailkontodaten hier ein, damit für möglichst viele Provider Hilfe angeboten werden kann.
Bild
S3bast1an
Forumjunkie
Forumjunkie

Plugin-Programmierer

Beitragvon Bob Loeffler » 1. Apr 2004, 13:18

Hallo Andreas,

Switching is now possible. :-) It looks like this:

Bild

Just click on the "double arrows" between the two flags and the "double arrow" will switch direction. The direction of the double arrows indicate which way the page will be translated. The default is "German to English".

I hope you are happy! :roll:

Bob
Bob Loeffler

Forum-Team
Plugin-Programmierer

Beitragvon Andreas_Z » 7. Apr 2004, 22:27

Hey!!!! :D

I am very happy. Thank you.

Greeting Andreas
Andreas_Z
Administrator
Administrator

Administration
Beta-Tester
Forum-Team

Beitragvon Bob Loeffler » 7. Apr 2004, 23:36

8) :D :o 8) :D :o
Bob Loeffler

Forum-Team
Plugin-Programmierer

Beitragvon Dieter » 24. Jun 2004, 15:29

Hi Bob,

I'm always wondering how you are able to understand the translation of the Bablefish translator! For instance, your answer to my German post: http://www.spamihilator.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2922&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15#16487

When I let translate my German statement
seit Bobs schöner Statistik weiß ich das jetzt

I get the result
since Bobs of beautiful statistics white I that now

The German word "weiß" is translated correctly into "white". However, there is also another meaning: "weiß" is a conjugated form of the German verb "wissen" and that means in English "to know", and this translation does express better what I wanted to say! :wink:

There are not only slang expressions in the German threads but also many, many orthographic and even grammatical errors, where the Bablefish translator probably has a lot of problems! And, I'm comming back to the beginning, I admire youre skill of deduction!

My English is not the best one, but I hope it is still better than the Bablefish translator. :wink:

Regards
Dieter
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8500 3.16 GHz, 3.25 GB Ram, WinXP Home Edition SP3,
Outlook Express 6, Outlook 2007
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T8100 2.10 GHz, 4.00 GB Ram, Windows 7 Ultimate,
Windows Live Mail, Outlook 2007
T-Online/1&1/Gmx/Strato, Call & Surf Comfort Plus, DSL 16000
Dieter
Assistent
Assistent

Beitragvon Bob Loeffler » 24. Jun 2004, 16:10

Hi Dieter,

Yes, babelfish and google both have problems when translating pages, so I have learned how to read them better. I figured out that "weiß" = "to know" from reading a lot of messages here on the forum. And Michel has told me the translation of some words in e-mail. But still, there are some words that just don't get translated at all, so I have to read the whole sentence to try to figure out the translation. I also have to move words around in the sentence for it to make sense to me. That's why it can take me an hour to read all of the new messages on this website each day. ;-)

After the babelfish translation:

(since Bobs of beautiful statistics white I that now)

I then translated it in my head to: :idea:

(because of Bob's beautiful statistics, I know that now)

Your English is much much much better than the babelfish translation! :-)

Regards,

Bob
Bob Loeffler

Forum-Team
Plugin-Programmierer

Beitragvon RossiRat » 25. Jun 2004, 07:28

So Bob, can you share your "Brain translater 2.0 for automatic translation" with us?
Just put it in a plugin for Spami. ;)
Win Xp Pro, AMD 1500+, 768 RAM, 120GB HDD, T-DSL light :( , Win XP, Thunderbird
RossiRat
Fast schon ein Mitarbeiter
Fast schon ein Mitarbeiter

Beitragvon Andreas_Z » 25. Jun 2004, 07:35

Hallo RossiRat!

YES. That's a very good Idea. :wink:

Gruß
Andreas_Z
Andreas_Z
Administrator
Administrator

Administration
Beta-Tester
Forum-Team

Nächste

Zurück zu English Forum